Consolidated by U.S. Navy Seabee Museum, Historian, Naval History and Heritage Command
The Foundation of Diego Garcia
By 1983 the only Seabee unit remaining on Diego Garcia was a detachment of NMCB 62. The departure of this detachment in September 1983 ended twelve years of priority effort on the island that included some 220 projects for the Navy and Air Force, valued in excess of $200 million. The work the Seabees completed on Diego Garcia since 1971 represented the largest peacetime construction effort in their history. Diego Garcia was the major Seabee construction effort of the 1970s and they acquitted themselves well under the difficult and isolated conditions that exist there. When the Seabees arrived they lived in tent camps, when they departed they left a fully-developed, modern military facility, capable of supporting thousands of U.S. personnel.
1965: NMCB 3 was relieved by NMCB 5 in RVN.
1989: Hurricane “Hugo” struck the Charleston, South Carolina, area, killing 26 people and causing $5.9 billion of damage. Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 5 and 133, home-ported at the Naval Construction Battalion Center, Gulfport, Mississippi; and Construction Battalion Unit 412 at Charleston immediately moved to provide disaster relief to both the military and civilian communities.
2007: Cmdr. Frederick Mucke, CEC, was relieved by Cmdr. Ronald Gruzesky, CEC, as commander, NMCB 24, at the Readiness Support Site Drill Center, Huntsville, Alabama.
1943: 116th NCB commissioned at NCTC Camp Endicott, Davisville, RI.
1965: The main body of NMCB 3, after being relieved by NMCB 5, returned to homeport via six Military Air Transport Service (MATS) aircraft.
1967: The main body of NMCB 133 departed RVN and returned to the Construction Battalion center (CBC), Gulfport, Mississippi.
2011: Adm. Michael Mullen presented Brooke Toner, widow of Lt. j.g. Francis Toner IV, CEC, with her late husband’s Silver Star, awarded for action against the enemy as Garrison Engineer, Camp Mike Spann Embedded Training Team, Afghanistan. Toner was also posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star with Valor.
1943: ACORN 13 arrived at Espiritu Santo. (Used during World War II, an ACORN was a tailored unit designed to carry out the rapid construction and subsequent operation of a landplane and seaplane advance base. Each ACORN had a construction battalion attached to it, as well as trained personnel to operate the control tower, field lighting, aerological unit, transportation, medical, berthing, and messing facilities. A Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit (CBMU) also accompanied each ACORN to maintain the base after the initial construction was completed and the construction battalion had been withdrawn. During the war, ACORNs were sent to such places at Guadalcanal, Espiritu Santo, Green Island, Rendova, Treasury Island, and Majuro.)
1945: The 69th NCB was inactivated at Davisville, Rhode Island; the 14th Special NCB was inactivated at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
1967: The first flight of NMCB 128’s advance party arrived in Da Nang, RVN.
2010: Cmdr. Tim DeWitt, CEC, relieved Cmdr. Glenn Hubbard, CEC, as commanding officer, NMCB 40 at Forward Operating Base Deh Dadi II, Afghanistan.
1951: Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 8 was activated.
1965: Cmdr. W.F. Russell, Civil Engineer Corps (CEC), commanding officer of NMCB 5, assumed command of Camp Hoover, Republic of Vietnam (RVN).
1967: Advance party of NMCB 133 departed Da Nang, RVN for Construction Battalion Center (CBC), Gulfport, Mississippi.
1969: Seabee Team 0314 deployed from Agana, Guam, to Rota Island, Trust Territories of the Pacific Islands (TTPI).
1967: NMCB 10 headquarters unit arrived at Gia Le, RVN.
1945: 39th Naval Construction Battalion (NCB) inactivated on Saipan.
1967: NMCB 9 main body, consisting of 18 officers and 652 Seabees, deployed to Da Nang, RVN, on seven C-141 aircraft.
1968: NMCB 3 main body convoyed from Camp Faulkner to Camp Haskins South, Da Nang, RVN.