By Lt. Cmdr. Jacob Segalla, Branch Head, Enlisted Seabee/SEAL/SWCC/EOD/Navy Diver Assignments, Navy Personnel Command
The Enlisted Seabee Assignments Division (PERS-401) of Navy Personnel Command (NPC) at Naval Support Activity Mid-South is responsible for the distribution of Sailors. Our team of detailers actively communicates with each Seabee during his/her career, providing advice and mentorship while negotiating for the next duty assignment. Additionally, the PERS-401 team is structured in traditional company Naval Construction Force (NCF) organization with Alfa, Bravo and Charlie Company detailer teams.
This is a unique and challenging time for Seabees. Our community has just completed five years of force drawdown, during which we saw the loss of three Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (NMCBs) and nearly a 25% reduction in the Seabee Enlisted Program Authorization (EPA). With less than 6,800 active Seabees across the Navy, there are fewer Seabees than at any other time since our inception in World War II and, consequently, fewer Seabees to distribute throughout the Fleet.
In order to remain competitive, it is more important than ever to stay current with regard to new policy changes and keep your records up to date. The NPC webpage is one of the most useful career management tools and your best resource for the most current information. Use the career counselors to your advantage. And, if you have questions that no one can seem to answer, please do not hesitate to call your detailer. We are here to support YOU!
The process of negotiating for orders can be a little confusing or unnerving, but it doesn’t have to be. There are many tools at your disposal designed to help shape your own career; one of the most useful is Career Management System Interactive Detailing (CMS-ID). CMS-ID serves as an electronic liaison between the Navy and you. It provides a prioritized listing of jobs available based on the needs of the Navy. CMS-ID is the easiest way for you to communicate your wishes to your detailer.
Follow the easy steps outlined below and you should be well on track for a smooth Permanent Change of Station (PCS) transition:
- 18 months prior to your PRD, log on to CMS-ID and review/edit your personal and professional information.
- 15 months prior, contact your career counselor and verify that your automatically generated C-WAY application is accurate (NAVADMIN 021/13 & 150/13).
- 12 months prior to your PRD, log on to CMS-ID, review your duty preferences and consider any special requests such as Camp David or State Department assignments, RDC, Recruiter, Spouse co-location, etc.
- 10 months prior to your PRD, prepare to enter your detailing window by logging on to CMS-ID, and review the Active/FTS schedule and potential jobs available for application.
- 9 months prior to your PRD, you are now in you detailing window. Consult with your career counselor or detailer, and apply for your next job. While you are in your negotiation window, you may apply for up to five different jobs per month; this provides a total of 15 opportunities/career paths to directly communicate to your detailer. NOTE: NAVADMIN 226/12 may require Sailors to be direct detailed to a job for which they did not apply at any time during the detail window. However, PERS-401 does our best to avoid direct detailing members unless absolutely necessary.
- 6 months prior to your PRD, you have now entered the “NEEDS OF THE NAVY” window. If at this time you are not locked into a set of orders your detailer may assign you for duty based solely on the needs of the Navy. If for some reason you do not have orders at this juncture, it is absolutely imperative you contact your detailer.
- 0 months, execute orders to your new Navy job.
Your Detailers are:
Alfa Company EO/CM
CMC James Gongas
EOC(sel) Jason Cummings
Bravo Company CE/UT
CEC Nathaniel Steward
Charlie Company BU/EA/SW
BU1 Tyrone Terry
EAC Joab Cowell
CUCS Stephen Stran
E-8/E-9/Camp David/State Department
CUCM Rob Sauve
Enlisted Seabee & SPECWAR/SPECOPS Assignments Branch Head
Lt. Cmdr. Jake Segalla
Useful career management links: